Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Progress Report

Mark's condition continues to frustrate his physicians. We're looking for any and all small improvements though. At this point, his psychological condition needs attention and going home even for a week or two would be monumentous. So, the decision to put a PEG tube into his abdominal wall continuous with his stomach/jejunum is planned for the next day or two. That way he can remove the tube from his nose, be fed through the PEG tube and hopefully go home and start gaining some nourishment physically and mentally.

The absesses in his abdomen are persistent and largely unchanged; although, the drains are producing a fluid that is a bit more clear which is good news. Our hope is that they are not infected. He continues on antibiotics and is not going back into abdominal surgery right now (hopefully). He has swelling in his knees and ankle, which are hopefully just gout. And, while painful, the gouty arthritis is not a threat as would be an infectious arthritis. The Rheumatologist chose to inject steroids into the knees to alleviate the inflammation with reasonable confidence that the cell count indicated a non-infectious etiology along with some other findings in the aspirate fluid which point to gout.

Mark's spirits are waxing and waning, but he is trying to continue the battle that he's waging against the frustrating and protracted course of Leukemia.The bottom line is that he needs to get a lot stronger and healthier to get the Pre-Bone Marrow Transplant-therapy. We are praying for miracles that will help him do this.

11 comments:

Renee said...

Hey Mark!

You get to go home for a little while??? YEA! We know we don't have to say 'enjoy', that will be easy to do after the hospital stay, huh. You're in our prayers. Say hi to Michelle.
We're sending much love,
your old neighborhood friends, Jeff and Renee Brewer

bcorcoran said...

Mark,

Everyone I have talked to about the benefit dinner has nothing but wonderful things to say about you! You have had a huge influence. We look forward to seeing you this weekend. You have tons of people sending prayers your way!

Barb and Chris Corcoran

Nicole said...

Mark-Enjoy your time at home. We sure miss you down here!!! Choir Sunday just wasn't the same. The new baby is almost 3 months now and is enormous - really he is off the sizing charts :) Hang in there and be tough. We are looking forward to the benefit dinner next week!
Love, The Halvorsens

Cari said...

Mark and Michelle,
We are cheering for you and your family. We are glad to hear that you get to spend some time at home. Nothing beats the hugs and loves! We pray for your family daily, and think of your family often. Love, The Hutch Bunch in Ohio

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I am now cheering you on as you did for me in our many early morning workouts. I wish I could make it to your benefit.
Emily Baker

Kelly said...

Hi Mark and Family!!! I am Emily Baker's sister Kelly. She has told me many great stories about you and your family. Thank you for all you have done for Emily. I know that she admires you and looks up to you. We are all praying for you and know you can get through this. Even though I have never met you.. I feel like I know you through Emily. Our prayers go out to you... Love, Kelly (Reno, NV)

Sarah Ning said...

Mark, I played golf with Penny Schilling a few months back in a tournament. We coincidentally discovered during that round that "Mark Benson" is a common denominator in our lives (Kind of like six degrees of seperation, but no Hollywood hottie like Kevin Bacon, we have Mark Benson instead!). I was just made aware of your situation today when Penny reached out to me today and found me at the Concierge Desk at Nevada Cancer Institute (to which I still blame you for my midlife melt down and subsequent launch back into the work force to solve that melt down! Kidding). Please know that I am keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. The impact you have had on my life, as with the many people who know you and love you, is profound and I am grateful. I wish health, happiness and fortune for you and your family now more than ever. Much love and many prayers, Sarah NingLas Vegas, NV

nthompson2013 said...

Mark and Michelle,
I heard the benefit dinner was outstanding! I was so excited to hear that it went so well! It just shows how many people you have influenced for the better over the years and how many people love and care for your family. We love you and are continuously praying for you!
Ryan and Natalie Thompson

Michelle said...

Hey Mark,

Just wanted to drop in and say hello, and say how much we miss you here at the office , I pray all is well with you and your family and look forward to seeing you. We will keep you and your family in our prayers. Stay strong and keep up the faith.

Love Sahara xxx000xx

Rookie Dad said...

Mark,

Greetings from So Cal. Wanted you to know that we don't go a day here without thinking about you, talking about your family and praying for you. I wish we could have come to see you when we were in SLC last weekend but because I got sick on our trip we decided not to put you at risk. Much love to you and your family -- best wishes always.

Rich & Jaime Benson

Unknown said...

Michelle, I never had the pleasure of meeting you, but Mark mentioned you often. Mark was my fitness coach, off and on, up until about 5 years ago. We played together in the U.F.Open at Nellis AFB. I had a session w/ Mike Davis yesterday,and he broke the news...I am so sorry. I sent Mark a Christmas text, which he responded to. I had referred a golfer to him recently and left several voice mails...I wondered why he hadn't responded...if I had only known. Although we hadn't spoken, Mark was constantly in my thoughts...every time I vowed to get back in shape,or had an injury. :) The Las Vegas golfing community, sports medicine, and everyone that was blessed to know Mark has lost a wonderful friend. God bless you, your children,and family in this tragic hour. My prayers are with all of you. Sincerely, Harlan K. Foster, Sr.